[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum » Off-Topic » Rant Forum » Does Dre Steal Credit?
Does Dre Steal Credit?
Lord_Meth Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 1:50 PM | Message # 16

Heads
Quote (ill)
if you write the music then yeah but if people compose music and you take credit thats foul, erik whats the name of the documentry?

yea wat Tip did was foul but on 2001's credits it said who dd wat on the album so Dre aint stealing anybodys beats or watever this propaganda is about

Sick With It
eboyd Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 1:51 PM | Message # 17

Heads
Yeah, OK, but 1. his beats rely HEAVILY on those strings, and 2. 90% of the beats you hear that he produces for other people are fully made by artists who are in his beat team. I know of people who he has literally come up to and said "hey, I'll give you $5000 for that" and then he makes a mil off of it. He's not the only one doing that either. All big name producers in the mainstream do that. Once a producer is big enough he looks at it like "I don't have time to make my own beats for other people's albums." Kanye had to go through that at the beginning of his career. He was producing for Jay before The Blueprint, he just didn't get credited because he was on the come up.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

11thPlague Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 1:51 PM | Message # 18

Removed
Quote (ill)
if you write the music then yeah but if people compose music and you take credit thats foul, erik whats the name of the documentry?

Well if they only do simple loops like scott storch on kees
so and so does guitar

there not really composing anything

all there doing is playing instruments

ill Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 1:53 PM | Message # 19

Emcees
so putting all the instruments together is the 'real' producing?

The World Is Yours
Lord_Meth Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 1:54 PM | Message # 20

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
Yeah, OK, but 1. his beats rely HEAVILY on those strings, and 2. 90% of the beats you hear that he produces for other people are fully made by artists who are in his beat team. I know of people who he has literally come up to and said "hey, I'll give you $5000 for that" and then he makes a mil off of it. He's not the only one doing that either. All big name producers in the mainstream do that. Once a producer is big enough he looks at it like "I don't have time to make my own beats for other people's albums." Kanye had to go through that at the beginning of his career. He was producing for Jay before The Blueprint, he just didn't get credited because he was on the come up.

I can agree with that, but its a business I suppose...Producers go thru the same drama as MCs with rappers
A big name artist goes and has someone writes a rap for them and gets credited for that..Im not really surprised about, its all about whose name is on the label who gets the credit

Sick With It
eboyd Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 1:55 PM | Message # 21

Heads
Lol! And ill, idk the name of the documentary, but I think it's on YT. Just search for it. Search, maybe, Jay Dee on Q-Tip.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

11thPlague Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 1:56 PM | Message # 22

Removed
Quote (ill)
so putting all the instruments together is the 'real' producing?

Well yeah a producer COMPOSES music
the producer knows sounds and knows how to put them together
has that "EAR" for it
Mixes the sounds

11thPlague Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 1:56 PM | Message # 23

Removed
You cant just know how to play the Guitar ad call your self a Producer
eboyd Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 1:58 PM | Message # 24

Heads
Yeah, but on the same token you can't just sit there and take a track that was composed of elements created by everyone else and call it your own. It's not like the others didn't play the sounds in the right place or anything.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

11thPlague Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 2:00 PM | Message # 25

Removed
Know i aint saying that he's never bought a beat from someone and made a mil of his name you know? but to try to take away even alittle of his credit from The Chronic to me is just wrong
11thPlague Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 2:02 PM | Message # 26

Removed
Quote (eboyd)
Yeah, but on the same token you can't just sit there and take a track that was composed of elements created by everyone else and call it your own. It's not like the others didn't play the sounds in the right place or anything.

Yeah but the The genius behind a beat is the fact that 6 to 10 diffrent sounds are placed in just the right place to be able to either make you body tap yo feet and nod your head and take your mind to a different world thats all the producer there.

eboyd Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 2:06 PM | Message # 27

Heads
And I could understand if it was like "oh, Dre, I know exactly what will sound dope right there!" And they just laid down one part of the beat and he fucked with it and made the rest, but he had an entire team around him and only made one small element. As a producer myself, I've had dudes come up to me and be like "hey, check it out. Try this" but I still make the rest of the beat. For example, on my "Nowhere To Go" beat this one kid was fucking around with the keyboard after I laid down the cymbols while I had the bass ready and he played this shit and I was like "hey, that's the sound I'm looking for! Can you do that again?" And so he did and I fucked with it for a minute, rearranged some notes, and he left and I did EVERYTHING else myself. Same with my beat for EmSeeD. I laid down the foundation to the track, including the main drums, the synth wind sounds, that distorted trumpet, etc., then another guy was like "check this" and laid down some tracks that were in the background and gave it a more ethereal feel, then I came back and put the snares in and distorted some things and finished it. There's a difference between that and what Dre does.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Lord_Meth Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 2:07 PM | Message # 28

Heads
Erik think of it like basketball

The head coach controls the team, he tells wat players wat to do at certain times. If he wants a player to take a shot, he'll design a play for that specific shot. He keeps the team organized and makes sure there's a good chemistry with the players

So Dre simply keeps the sounds in order and places them were they need to go, and wat sounds blend with which sound the best

Sick With It
eboyd Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 2:08 PM | Message # 29

Heads
Dude, The Chronic? Like I said, that was all Daz. His stuff pre-Chronic I'll give him credit though. All the NWA and World Class Wreckin' Cru stuff was him. No taking that away.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

11thPlague Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 2:09 PM | Message # 30

Removed
Quote (Lord_Meth)
The head coach controls the team, he tells wat players wat to do at certain times. If he wants a player to take a shot, he'll design a play for that specific shot. He keeps the team organized and makes sure there's a good chemistry with the players
So Dre simply keeps the sounds in order and places them were they need to go, and wat sounds blend with which sound the best

lol meth thats not a good example to help our case

Forum » Off-Topic » Rant Forum » Does Dre Steal Credit?
Search: