[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum » Off-Topic » Rant Forum » Does Dre Steal Credit?
Does Dre Steal Credit?
Lord_Meth Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 2:09 PM | Message # 31

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
And I could understand if it was like "oh, Dre, I know exactly what will sound dope right there!" And they just laid down one part of the beat and he fucked with it and made the rest, but he had an entire team around him and only made one small element. As a producer myself, I've had dudes come up to me and be like "hey, check it out. Try this" but I still make the rest of the beat. For example, on my "Nowhere To Go" beat this one kid was fucking around with the keyboard after I laid down the cymbols while I had the bass ready and he played this shit and I was like "hey, that's the sound I'm looking for! Can you do that again?" And so he did and I fucked with it for a minute, rearranged some notes, and he left and I did EVERYTHING else myself. Same with my beat for EmSeeD. I laid down the foundation to the track, including the main drums, the synth wind sounds, that distorted trumpet, etc., then another guy was like "check this" and laid down some tracks that were in the background and gave it a more ethereal feel, then I came back and put the snares in and distorted some things and finished it. There's a difference between that and what Dre does.

theres nothing wrong with getting help on a beat, LMAO u making it seem like a masterpiece has to made by urself

Wats a good team without teamwork?
LMAO

Sick With It
Lord_Meth Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 2:09 PM | Message # 32

Heads
Quote (11thPlague)
lol meth thats not a good example to help our case

I thought it was pretty good.... :'(

Sick With It
11thPlague Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 2:15 PM | Message # 33

Removed
what erick is saying is that they should get credit but no they dont they got paid off for it

like jay said to nas

"I sampled your voice, you was usin it wrong
You made it a hot line, I made it a hot song"

So Dre gets the credit

Message edited by 11thPlague - Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 2:16 PM
eboyd Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 2:16 PM | Message # 34

Heads
Meth, have you ever heard of the term player-coach? Not to say Dre doesn't deserve some credit, but who deserves more credit, the guy making equally as dope beats but doing all the work himself (DJ Premier, Jay Dee, Pete Rock, etc.) or the guy who has others doing most of the actual music aspect for him?

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Lord_Meth Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 2:19 PM | Message # 35

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
Meth, have you ever heard of the term player-coach? Not to say Dre doesn't deserve some credit, but who deserves more credit, the guy making equally as dope beats but doing all the work himself (DJ Premier, Jay Dee, Pete Rock, etc.) or the guy who has others doing most of the actual music aspect for him?

To be honest, it depends on how u look at it, this is one of those moments were ur own judgement decides wat u think is best
Me I'm 50/50 to a certain extent
If u musically rounded like Dre and ur known for having a ear for the beats, than wats wrong by taking a backseat and directing people into their rightful place? He earned it
Say if it was Soulja Boy doing it...then there would be a problem cuz he has no fucking clue wat hes doing at all

so its just ur own look upon it

Sick With It
11thPlague Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 2:21 PM | Message # 36

Removed
Quote (Lord_Meth)
To be honest, it depends on how u look at it, this is one of those moments were ur own judgement decides wat u think is best
Me I'm 50/50 to a certain extent
If u musically rounded like Dre and ur known for having a ear for the beats, than wats wrong by taking a backseat and directing people into their rightful place? He earned it
Say if it was Soulja Boy doing it...then there would be a problem cuz he has no fucking clue wat hes doing at all
so its just ur own look upon it

lol thats better meth

i cosign on that

eboyd Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 2:30 PM | Message # 37

Heads
Regardless, Premo has paid his dues and has an ear for production too just as much as Dre if not more so, but he still does everything himself. He may ask one instrumental soloist to do one aspect for him, but that is rare and he still layers all of it himself with the rest of the sound.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Lord_Meth Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 2:35 PM | Message # 38

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
Regardless, Premo has paid his dues and has an ear for production too just as much as Dre if not more so, but he still does everything himself. He may ask one instrumental soloist to do one aspect for him, but that is rare and he still layers all of it himself with the rest of the sound.

Well Premo doesnt have as much popularity as Dre in the mainstream now either does he?
And plus that wat makes Premo the GOAT, he makes all of his beats solo in his own ability (which is limitless)
And thats why I respect producers who do their own beats by themselves, but then again I respect producers WHO R ALREADY ESTABLISHED PRODUCERS who compose the beats but has other people make other sounds for them, its like they take a leadership role and guide his team thru the process of the beat

thats how I look at it

Sick With It
eboyd Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 2:54 PM | Message # 39

Heads
No doubt, and I still have respect for Dre, but not as much as I did before I figured this out, especially when it came to the beats he was just buying off dudes. I can't put him in my top 5. Maybe top 10, but top 5 is pushing it for me. There are too many producers doing their own shit and making just as dope or doper beats than Dre. And who gives a shit about popularity? Cool & Dre and Jazzy Pha are popular. Does that make them any good?

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Lord_Meth Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 2:59 PM | Message # 40

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
No doubt, and I still have respect for Dre, but not as much as I did before I figured this out, especially when it came to the beats he was just buying off dudes. I can't put him in my top 5. Maybe top 10, but top 5 is pushing it for me. There are too many producers doing their own shit and making just as dope or doper beats than Dre. And who gives a shit about popularity? Cool & Dre and Jazzy Pha are popular. Does that make them any good?

Word

Sick With It
EmSeeD Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 3:03 PM | Message # 41

Heads
Quote (J-Breakz)
Keep their heads ringin

co produced by Sam Sneed

Quote (eboyd)
Not A ghost producer, GHOST PRODUCERS. He takes a lot of the beat by the producer from Self Scientific and puts his stamp on them, plus 90% of 2001 was either Scott Storch or someone else that wasn't Dre himself. Storch even produced "Still Dre."

Mel-Man co produced every track except The Message. Storch also co produces with Timbaland and others.

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
EmSeeD Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 3:06 PM | Message # 42

Heads
the only thing i can say that would make premo better than dre is the fact premo changes the samples around a little he doesn't just straight up sample. but with dre dre doesn't change much to the original sample, he'll get someone like storch to interpolate the sample so it can change the sound but thats usually it.

EmSeeD Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 3:10 PM | Message # 43

Heads
Quote (11thPlague)
Strings by so and so and
Guitar by so ans so and
Bass by so and so

But thats just cause they used live music
I would still say its Dre Beats

So if Scott Storch came up with some Keys for Dre its still Dre beats

i agree with this, the still d.r.e beat was a sample but when people read that on wikipedia about storch playing the keys they think storch actually wrote it but he didn't.

I was reading in an interview where premo delivered some beats to dre for Rakim's aftermath album. dre and mel-man were listening to the premo beats and they said they liked one but asked premo if its okay to get scott storch to re-play the keys, and premo said it was okay. But does that mean scott storch produced it? no premo produced it they just wanted storch to re-play some keys.

Menace Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 3:16 PM | Message # 44

Heads
Dre is overrated as an artist i don't know if anyone can think different but he is overrated

Lord_Meth Date: Saturday, 21/Mar/09, 3:17 PM | Message # 45

Heads
Quote (EmSeeD)
i agree with this, the still d.r.e beat was a sample but when people read that on wikipedia about storch playing the keys they think storch actually wrote it but he didn't.
I was reading in an interview where premo delivered some beats to dre for Rakim's aftermath album. dre and mel-man were listening to the premo beats and they said they liked one but asked premo if its okay to get scott storch to re-play the keys, and premo said it was okay. But does that mean scott storch produced it? no premo produced it they just wanted storch to re-play some keys.

right^^^^^

Sick With It
Forum » Off-Topic » Rant Forum » Does Dre Steal Credit?
Search: