Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: s0dr2  
Forum » Off-Topic » General Music » Prince vs. Michael Jackson
Prince vs. Michael Jackson
Adam Date: Friday, 01/Jan/10, 8:32 PM | Message # 46

B-Girls
sodr2 wtf is wrong with you having that avatar. What is the point of that?

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
J-Breakz Date: Friday, 01/Jan/10, 9:22 PM | Message # 47

Heads
Human Nature or pop life? lol

livin life like some cheesy movie
J-Breakz Date: Friday, 01/Jan/10, 9:46 PM | Message # 48

Heads
Quote (8Diagrams)
A person can do nothing more than read lyrics and sing and STILL be considered a musician, genius.

But not at the same genius of a person that can read lyrics, notation, sing, play guitar, drums, keyboards, brass instruments, and all types of other crap.

J-Breakz Date: Friday, 01/Jan/10, 10:11 PM | Message # 49

Heads
Hey 8, quit being such an arrogant prick. here u go bud

MJ is known primarily for his dancing and singing, if he is a talented with other instruments I guarantee you the majority of the people in the US wouldn't know about it. So sodr simply asked that how is he much of a musician if he can only sing? You then stated:

Quote (8Diagrams)
A person can do nothing more than read lyrics and sing and STILL be considered a musician
(which really, he isn't denying that MJ is a musician so your argument is already dumb as fuck, but hey I didn't wanna make you look like a dumb ass)

So I said:

Quote (J-Breakz)
But not at the same genius of a person that can read lyrics, notation, sing, play guitar, drums, keyboards, brass instruments, and all types of other crap.

Quote (8Diagrams)
I'll say it again MJ knew how to play certain things just chose not to put it in his fucking music!!!!

When did you say that?

If MJ had other musicians record the instruments then I think we can both agree that it's not entirely MJ's art. Prince played every instrument in his recordings, therefore his music is completely his art. An artist is defined as a person that demonstrates an art. Prince didn't need anyone else to help demonstrate his art, therefore we can conclude he is the better artist.

J-Breakz Date: Friday, 01/Jan/10, 10:40 PM | Message # 50

Heads
Quote (8Diagrams)
So by your logic that means that emcees that have other dudes produce their album doesn't entirely own their art, either. Hmm, this sounds VERY fallacious.

How is it fallacious?

J-Breakz Date: Friday, 01/Jan/10, 10:45 PM | Message # 51

Heads
Quote (8Diagrams)
Big L didn't produce any of his songs, for example. But you still consider them HIS songs, no?

Not entirely. The producers that worked on his albums deserve credit, too, without them the music would be different or be non-existant.

abanks47 Date: Friday, 01/Jan/10, 11:15 PM | Message # 52

Emcees
are you just saying that cuz you like MJ's voice more than prince's?

I'm saying it because yes I personally enjoy his voice, but I think there are about a billion other people who'd agree with me, but is the same being said in regards to Prince as well? I think overall it is a matter of opinion and i already stated cant hate too much if someone does choose prince over MJ, just in my life there is no comparrision of the 2. MJ>>>>>>>>prince

Something else that I would like to bring up that I will admit I dont know the entirety of but didn't prince have a heavy drug problem? As you said MJ wouldn't be the same without Quincy, i feel the same could be said with Prince and his "cough" inspiration, no?

A WELL DRESSED SKELETON SLOWLY CUTS YOUR THROAT.

"I Have No Fear Whatsoever of Anybody or Anything" -Malcolm X

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

J-Breakz Date: Saturday, 02/Jan/10, 1:29 AM | Message # 53

Heads
Quote (abanks47)
I'm saying it because yes I personally enjoy his voice, but I think there are about a billion other people who'd agree with me, but is the same being said in regards to Prince as well? I think overall it is a matter of opinion and i already stated cant hate too much if someone does choose prince over MJ, just in my life there is no comparrision of the 2. MJ>>>>>>>>prince

LOL

Quote (abanks47)
Something else that I would like to bring up that I will admit I dont know the entirety of but didn't prince have a heavy drug problem? As you said MJ wouldn't be the same without Quincy, i feel the same could be said with Prince and his "cough" inspiration, no?

Nope, he's actually a vegan, too. He tries to stay healthy from what I have read.

abanks47 Date: Saturday, 02/Jan/10, 1:44 AM | Message # 54

Emcees
hmmm ill take your word for it. i heard that he was one of the reasons vanity was introduced to crack but wasn't a reliable source.

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

J-Breakz Date: Saturday, 02/Jan/10, 2:17 AM | Message # 55

Heads
Quote (abanks47)
hmmm ill take your word for it. i heard that he was one of the reasons vanity was introduced to crack but wasn't a reliable source.

I mean... I wouldn't be surprised if he had experienced drugs before (I should probably ask my aunt next time I talk to her, she used to be a huge fan of him when she was a teenager), but even if he did do drugs I don't think it's fair to give drugs the credit for his musical creativity. I mean there's studies that a person is more creative when it's late at night but I don't think any1 would give night time the credit for the creativity, you kno wat i mean? I wouldn't give drugs the credit for Amy Whinehouse's talent. Neither LSD for the Beatles or Jimi Hendrix's genius.

Oh and if you do find a source saying Prince had a drug problem lemme know! That'd be interesting to read about.

Also, I'm not trying to take anything away from MJ. There will only be one Michael Jackson and there's def. no reason why I can get mad at someone for believing that he's a better artist than Prince, lol. But I also can't help but think Prince is still underrated. There will be many imitations but only one Prince.

abanks47 Date: Saturday, 02/Jan/10, 2:39 AM | Message # 56

Emcees
dude i disagree, i feel drugs can definitely inspire people to create something that cannot be made sober. not saying its the case with all artists but some have found there inspiration through many things, one of them being drugs

J-Breakz Date: Saturday, 02/Jan/10, 3:05 AM | Message # 57

Heads
Quote (abanks47)
dude i disagree, i feel drugs can definitely inspire people to create something that cannot be made sober. not saying its the case with all artists but some have found there inspiration through many things, one of them being drugs

But anything could inspire somebody's creativity, that doesn't necessarily mean that the person should lose any credit to his art.

abanks47 Date: Saturday, 02/Jan/10, 3:19 AM | Message # 58

Emcees
i think that a human can discover things while under the influence of certain substances. i also feel that yes it has to do with the human taking the substance as well, i feel credit should be given to both involved. the drugs and the human.

s0dr2 Date: Saturday, 02/Jan/10, 8:04 AM | Message # 59

OGs
Quote (Adam)
sodr2 wtf is wrong with you having that avatar. What is the point of that?

are you gay? its an avatar, calm your hormones....wtf is that cat?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Adam Date: Saturday, 02/Jan/10, 5:39 PM | Message # 60

B-Girls
His spinning on a record... You got a random little kid on yours.

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
Forum » Off-Topic » General Music » Prince vs. Michael Jackson
Search: