• »
Forum moderator: El_Matador, Aristotle, s0dr2, ThaScience  
Forum » Off-Topic » Sports & Entertainment » Notorious BIG Movie
Notorious BIG Movie
Pensmoke Date: Sunday, 18/Jan/09, 4:30 PM | Message # 1

Removed
My unpopular viewpoint on it.

p.s.

Y-Society, GZA, Rakim, EPMD, Sev Statik, and all conscious emcees FTW.

Menace Date: Sunday, 18/Jan/09, 4:33 PM | Message # 2

Heads
they made the movie cause it means MONEY Biggie was a corporate rapper we all know that all his music was corporate materialistic music

Menace Date: Sunday, 18/Jan/09, 4:39 PM | Message # 3

Heads
word man i mean even some real hip hop heads can't see this even some real hip hop heads don't like purists but like always purists are right and they trying to suck all the money from Biggies legacy thats what they are trying to do like they did whit all these 2pac documentaries

Lord_Meth Date: Sunday, 18/Jan/09, 6:34 PM | Message # 4

Heads
Word to Menace

Sick With It
ill Date: Sunday, 18/Jan/09, 6:50 PM | Message # 5

Emcees
Quote (Pensmoke)
Quote (Menace)
they made the movie cause it means MONEY Biggie was a corporate rapper we all know that all his music was corporate materialistic music
No doubt man. Few agree with us though.

everyone agrees with you man, thats why hes considered the best rapper ever by many

none of this only true heads agree, everyone knows biggie was mainstream

The World Is Yours
Uncharted Date: Sunday, 18/Jan/09, 8:27 PM | Message # 6

Emcees
Quote (8DiagramsOfDeath)
Actually I somewhat share in your view, just another project to worsen his legacy, just like Duets: The Final Chapter

i rather watch a documentary and i cosign with 8diagam. To tell u the truth that final duets albulm was the worst dedication albulm ever.even if biggie was a one of those flashy emcees idk if he would go on any song with nelly or any of them cats.

Added (18/Jan/09, 8:27 Pm)
---------------------------------------------
my ass laughs at the "biggie is greatest rapper ever". Not as bad as people saying "lil wayne the greatest rapper ever".see now biggie one of my favorite emcees (besides the flashy suit era) but i agree with menace.

Message edited by coolmon - Sunday, 18/Jan/09, 8:25 PM
eboyd Date: Sunday, 18/Jan/09, 9:20 PM | Message # 7

Heads
Cosign with all.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

LyricalContent Date: Monday, 19/Jan/09, 0:10 AM | Message # 8

Emcees
well puff daddy/ puffy/ p diddy/ diddy ( or what ever he's callin himself these days) had alot to do with the mainstream part of biggie's career, he (big) wasn't really fillin them but diddy ( or what ever he calls himself these days) would say if you make a song like this you'll go platinum and such and such and because of the respect and trust he (big) had for him he would make the songs even though he wasn't really feelin them that's where songs like Big Poppa came from I saw a documentary where biggie was tellin one of his childhood friends " man puff makin me do all these r&b joints and I don't want to do them s*its" so really you have puff to thank for mainstream part of him because the way big saw it "everything puff touch turns gold" so to him he was worth listening to. but to me music is all about what you get out of it so i do respect your opinion personally i think what ever music you listen to it all depends on what you take from it be it mainstream or underground i've said it before just because it's underground don't make it real just like everything mainstream isn't commercial you need both of them some people don't want it like that though, they want to kill off mainstream and then in the same sentence they say let's take hip hop global you can't have one without the other they need to make up thier minds if you want to kill mainstream then don't say lets take hip hop global then because you need mainstream to do that.

For the preaching of the cross is to them that
perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God
1 Cor 1:18
http:
//www.youtube.com/user/thelastgreatone

The grass withers and the flowers fall,
but the Word of our God shall stand forever
is:40,8
11thPlague Date: Monday, 19/Jan/09, 0:21 AM | Message # 9

Removed
^^^CoSign^^^^ With LyricalContent
PNobleDaLyricist Date: Monday, 19/Jan/09, 1:08 AM | Message # 10

Emcees
Quote (LyricalContent)
well puff daddy/ puffy/ p diddy/ diddy ( or what ever he's callin himself these days) had alot to do with the mainstream part of biggie's career, he (big) wasn't really fillin them but diddy ( or what ever he calls himself these days) would say if you make a song like this you'll go platinum and such and such and because of the respect and trust he (big) had for him he would make the songs even though he wasn't really feelin them that's where songs like Big Poppa came from I saw a documentary where biggie was tellin one of his childhood friends " man puff makin me do all these r&b joints and I don't want to do them s*its" so really you have puff to thank for mainstream part of him because the way big saw it "everything puff touch turns gold" so to him he was worth listening to. but to me music is all about what you get out of it so i do respect your opinion personally i think what ever music you listen to it all depends on what you take from it be it mainstream or underground i've said it before just because it's underground don't make it real just like everything mainstream isn't commercial you need both of them some people don't want it like that though, they want to kill off mainstream and then in the same sentence they say let's take hip hop global you can't have one without the other they need to make up thier minds if you want to kill mainstream then don't say lets take hip hop global then because you need mainstream to do that.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNN

Mainground

RHHF rap

16-7-0 69%(if u round its 70% doe) tournaments won =1

tournament record: 4-3

exhibition record: 12-4

eboyd Date: Monday, 19/Jan/09, 1:38 AM | Message # 11

Heads
Quote (LyricalContent)

agreed BUT that still makes him a corporate rapper. he did things because Puff told him to. THAT was his decision. sure, it was alluring, but i have more respect for someone who keeps his music sacred to him or herself. seriously though, show me someone who is filthy rich and ridiculously famous and i'll show you evidence of something crooked they did to get there. there are no exceptions. even the oft generous Bill Gates has done many crooked things as CEO of Windows.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Monday, 19/Jan/09, 8:21 AM | Message # 12

Heads
I work at a theater, so I saw the movie. It's not a satisfying sit. They dissect his life but with a rusty fork. It's definitely a ploy to get cash. I don't see it as bettering his legacy at all.

As far as his status as a rapper, I agree, he's definitely not the best rapper ever and yes he was mainstream, but here's the problem. I think we get too stuck in what is underground and what isn't underground and that when it's corporate it ain't real but when it's underground it always is. The Iseley brothers, Temptations, Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, ....all mainstream R&B and Soul singers, but they are legends. Is their shit not real, maybe, but is it not respectable because it's mainstream, not neccessarily. The best example is Marvin Gaye. Motown was the most mainstream soul label in the nation, yet he is notoriously respected. It's the same with other genres, rock - ZZ Top, Led Zepellin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ozzy, etc. It goes even further than that. Movie directors, actors, painters, novelists, poets, philosophers, and even athletes all fall into two categories. "A" list and "B" list. "A" being mainstream, "B" not being mainstream. But usually in those forms of occupation they are thought to be mainstream because they are good at what they do. And, well, isn't that how hip hop used to be. It would be different if Biggie was pulled out of the suburbs and turned into a street thug to sell albums. But he wasn't, he represented what was real and what he had to live in from where he came.

I can tell you some of the best actors of all time and some of the best directors of all time, were mainstream. Martin Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola, Brian DePalma, Sydney Lumet, Alfred Hitchcock, Steven Spielberg, Sergio Leone, Quentin Tarantino -all among the best directos of all time. Marlon Brando, Humphrey Bogart, Edward G. Robinson, Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino, Clint Eastwood, Meryl Streep -all among the best actors of all time. And guess what, they were all mainstream.

You have to sit back and look at the whole picture through more than one perspective.

Do you think followers of those genres do what we sit here and do: scrutinize and criticize artists based on there merit of being underground or not. So what I'm trying to say is that it shouldn't be about mainstream or underground, it should be about real or fake. Biggie wasn't fake so he's got my respect. But originality is important to me. He wasn't that original as far as content, so there's no respect there. But! What he was trying to say was well expressed, so he gains more of my respect. Do you see where I'm going. He shouldn't be slapped with a label that says "mainstream" or, "corporate" especially. He should be analyzed as a human being and also as an artist based on the individual motives and attributes that compose him.

Basically he was mainstream because he knew he would have died in the streets. He was given a chance to make it big thanks to a little talent he had called rhyme. Puffy gave him that chance. When your dealing with life and death, you don't give a fuck about whats "mainstream" or "corporate." You just want to get the fuck out, by whatever means.

I thought yall would think a little deeper than what you have, at least something better than throwing around nothing but "mainstream," "underground," and "corporate."

Anyways, the movie isn't too good.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...

Message edited by I_Guy - Tuesday, 20/Jan/09, 5:20 AM
11thPlague Date: Monday, 19/Jan/09, 1:12 PM | Message # 13

Removed
^^^^AGAIN CO_SIGH WITH I-GUY^^^^
Menace Date: Monday, 19/Jan/09, 1:38 PM | Message # 14

Heads
money is no excuse for wack shit SAVING YOUR LIFE is no excuse for materialism these are choices in life not natural things a over materialistic corporate rapper i mean he choose to live like that its all about choices Immortal Technique bailed out on Def Jam just after he was released from prison he didn't like people messing whit his music so don't bring this life shit on here cause materialism and over exaggerated Cooning is not an excuse these are not natural things how come Nas ain't doing that coon ass shit ?? and Nas is major and he GETTING MONEY

Menace Date: Monday, 19/Jan/09, 5:51 PM | Message # 15

Heads
tough i gotta tell u Pensmoke when u asked Tupac about solutions to the problems in the community he had the answers most of them were off songs and off camera and mostly interviews cause look at Tupac's early vids and when he was 17 or something he is different not to say he came from a long line of revolutionary Shakur's but as i said he made some bad choices and those choices actually got him killed

Forum » Off-Topic » Sports & Entertainment » Notorious BIG Movie
  • Page 1 of 7
  • »
Search: