[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum » Off-Topic » Rant Forum » Does Dre Steal Credit?
Does Dre Steal Credit?
I_Guy Date: Sunday, 22/Mar/09, 6:39 AM | Message # 61

Heads
Okay, holy shit, I can't believe I missed this thread. I got alot to say. I'm practically an expert on Dre. His old school shit (of course) is a major influence on me.

So it goes like this. Dre grows up in a home who passionately embraces soul and funk music in the seventies. Dre is fascinated by music. From an early age he tries to make it. He gets his first turn table and he begins mixing music like all the master DJ’s from NY. Eventually the 80s roll around and Dre is a man. He gets in with the World Class Wrecking Crew. They do electro-dance-rap. Completely original production by Dre using very early primitive electric keyboards. He does interpret some melodies from major bands though in some songs. Then NWA rolls around and Dre starts doing hardcore beats. He begins sampling now, (being a hip hop standard). He does very little original production until NWA’s second album. “Niggaz For Life.” It is here Dre creates that G-Funk sound (not the damn Chronic).

examples from 1991 = the begginning of Dre's early developement of G-Funk.

Then Death Row and the Chronic. In the Chronic Dre completely develops G-Funk. Now it is here where everyone tries to say “Nuh uh, I created G-Funk!” Of course they wanted to hop on one of the most seminal album’s dick. First we have Cold 187 claiming he actually invented G-Funk. He claims the Above The Law album entitled “Black Mafia Life” was the root of G-Funk. He claims it was created before the Chronic in 1992 but was released late in 1993 (the reason for the late release conspicuously unkown to me). Yeah sure. Indeed it does share some similar samples that the Chronic did, and I do agree that Dre was inspired by a couple of the tracks from that album.

examples of Cold 187 on Black Mafia Life

But then there is some evidence that supports Cold 187's claims, but IMO it's still not compelling enough.
For example:
This beat is Dre-ish.

There's another one called "Pimpology 101" (that I couldn't find) that sounds almost exactly like some Dre shit. So I will give Cold 187 some credit. They were both on Ruthless Records and I know they exchanged alot of ideas. I would consider Cold 187 the co-creater of G-Funk. I think he might of had the vision, but I think Dre made it reality, and may have shared the vision from the begginning. Who knows maybe not. Maybe Cold 187 is full of shit. ?????

So anyways, Cold 187 claims his album "Black Mafia Life" founded G-Funk, but then again, didn’t Dre give birth to G-Funk in 1991 on NWA’s “Niggaz For Life” stated earlier? Plus, the Chronic IS ON A WHOLE DIFFERENT LEVEL! So what is Cold 187 talking about? Pfff. The G-Funk sound wasn't apparent in any of his work before the Chronic, but there is evidence of it in Dre's case. Sooooo.... Then you have people claiming that Warren G created G-Funk. Again, NOPE! He did have dope production skills before he came to Death Row, but it wasn’t smooth G-Funk!

Early Warren G examples:

Then we have Money B, that Warren G co-produced with on 213's first album from 1990/1991. (But then again Warren is related to Dre).
Example:

(And we also have Compton's Most Wanted [as well as DJ Quik] who offer similar conflicting evidence of early G-Funk.)
Examples:

(Most likely an NWA influence would explain the sound here.)

Now we have Daz saying he is responsible for the Chronic’s amazing sound. PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. Don’t believe the shit Daz says. He is full of shit half the time. THERE IS NO WAY HE PRODUCED THE “CHRONIC.” LMFAO. Daz is full of shit. He did the drums for one song on the Chronic and that was it. Don’t believe me? Look at Daz’s solo production for the Dogg Pound. Are you going to tell me that shit is Chronic level? No Fucking Way. In my opinion he does cheap sounding G-Funk. Plus when Daz came to Death Row with Snoop, he had no damn experience at all. He was just Snoop's little cousin who always looked up to Snoop and bugged the fuck out of him all the time, and basically wanted to be like him/impress him. He was just a tag along. Dre fucking mentored Daz.

Daz examples:

This shit ain't Dre quality!!!!

Anyways this isn’t about who created G-Funk, It’s about people claiming to have created G-Funk and Dre taking the credit for their work.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
I_Guy Date: Sunday, 22/Mar/09, 6:40 AM | Message # 62

Heads
So here’s the real deal. Dre grew up with an extremely obsessive musical background. The science of music became apart of him to the point where he can imagine music like we imagine images. So in a sense, he has a composer’s mind. Now don’t get me wrong, he had a lot of help on the “Chronic“, but they did not produce the tracks. They simply handled certain elements. Dre incorporated live instruments into the Chronic. What do you think, someone else created that classic flute melody in “Lil Ghetto Boy”?

Sheeit, pleeeeeease. Dre doesn’t know how to play a flute, but he directed the flute player note by note on how he wanted the melody. That process goes for all the production not done by Dre. So again, in a sense, he is like a composer. He doesn’t actually play the music. But he develops the sound using the musicians as tools to finish it. Although Dre does know how to play some instruments. I mean he’s always known the piano (and is getting greater by taking lessons from Burt Bacharach). I mean just check the old school freestyle by Snoop in the Death Row studio with Dre on the keys.

Come oooooooon. And your saying Dre don’t lay down his own shit. (Now sure in the above video, he’s not playing a melody that he created, but come the fuck on ….with Dre’s knowledge of soul and funk music from his past, you know he has the understanding to compose his own melodies! Prime example = “Doggystyle“, a lot of original production on it!) Example:

Now I would agree that his participation in the actual production has decreased throughout the years, especially since Chronic 2001. In my opinion, that was his last major participative effort.

But then again, like Menace said, sampling is the basis for hip hop. So basically, no one produces, unless they actually compose every note independently. Now in support of Emseed’s point, Dre basically samples people LIVE. Instead of borrowing someone else’s work (that he doesn’t even know) he has other people create the shit for him to arrange, just as a hip hop producer arranges record samples. Get it?

Also, I agree, Dre feels that he is established as a great producer and probably feels it is petty work to produce a full song himself anymore. So he hires other to do it. I’m sure he feels big enough to have people do it for him. It’s like when rich people get maids. They don’t have the time or the patience to deal with the dirty work anymore. Same with Dre.

All I know is, if you look at anyone’s solo productions who claim to have ghost produced for Dre, the tracks are nowhere near the quality of production in comparison to the tracks associated with Dre. What’s up with that? Also, if you look at the album credits by Dre, he gives people credit for their work if it was significant enough. It’s not like he’s trying to hide it.

There's no way someone could get away with what you guys claim Dre is getting away with. It's therefore obvious that he has something that no one else has.

In my opinion, he is a prime example of a producer/composer who has had a healthy development and growth as a music artist, especially now with his endeavor with Burt Bacharach.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
EmSeeD Date: Monday, 23/Mar/09, 2:11 AM | Message # 63

Heads
i gotta agree with I_Guy here, people just want to believe dre steals credit but even other producers like Timbaland, DJ Quik and i think Kanye do the exact same thing dre does. and i agree that Daz's G-Funk sound cheap and real cheesy too. Daz was credited in The Chronic for doing the drums on Rat-Tat-Tat-Tat. Daz does claim to have gone uncredited for production in Doggystyle im not sure about this.

However according to Snoop Dogg Warren G actually did bring in the sample for the chorus for the song Lil' Ghetto Boy. but just the sample of the guy singing nothing with the rest of the beat.

with Cold187um creating G-Funk idk, coz i've heard Eazy-E's 1991 EP 15150 Home 4 Tha Sick or whatever it was called which had Cold187um production and it sounded nothing like The Chronic at all.

aparently Erotic D did help with song nwa songs Just Don't Bite It, She Swallowed It which used the same beat and one other song.

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
eboyd Date: Monday, 23/Mar/09, 2:19 AM | Message # 64

Heads
surprised OK, i'll shut up now! i still feel DJ Premier, Madlib, J Dilla, RZA, and a few others are superior though.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Monday, 23/Mar/09, 6:38 AM | Message # 65

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
i still feel DJ Premier, Madlib, J Dilla, RZA, and a few others are superior though.

Maybe. I won't disagree. But I maintain my stance that Dre is the one and only greatest master of G-Funk, no question. But as a vintage hip hop producer...mmmm...not so much.

ill Date: Monday, 23/Mar/09, 7:00 PM | Message # 66

Emcees
Quote (I_Guy)
Dre doesn’t know how to play a flute, but he directed the flute player note by note on how he wanted the melody

thats it if you dont direct the instruments and you're not composing the sound you shouldnt take any credit for the track, i dont really care about dre never been too into him but im saying about producers on a whole

and rawr dilla madlib > premo rza

The World Is Yours
Forum » Off-Topic » Rant Forum » Does Dre Steal Credit?
Search: