[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum » Off-Topic » Rant Forum » Was 2pac a Gangsta Rapper?
Was 2pac a Gangsta Rapper?
Menace Date: Friday, 05/Feb/10, 8:09 PM | Message # 1

Heads
Quote (abanks47)

i really think your reaching here. i was young but i was very much into hip hop politics as a child and never heard of anyone going after pac and not having there career coming to or coming close to an end. please show me any type of proof if you can. was this by fellow artist, the community or both?

There was an alternative hip hop "resistance" in the gangsta rap era which heavily criticized gangsta rap which included 2pac at that time .

abanks47 Date: Friday, 05/Feb/10, 8:12 PM | Message # 2

Emcees
Quote (Menace)
There was an alternative hip hop "resistance" in the gangsta rap era which heavily criticized gangsta rap which included 2pac at that time .

names? like i said never heard of these people. they must not have done a very good job

A WELL DRESSED SKELETON SLOWLY CUTS YOUR THROAT.

"I Have No Fear Whatsoever of Anybody or Anything" -Malcolm X

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

Menace Date: Friday, 05/Feb/10, 8:42 PM | Message # 3

Heads
Quote (abanks47)
names? like i said never heard of these people. they must not have done a very good job

They were underground they were alternative of course you never heard of most of them because being popular equates being trendy . The west coast alternative and underground scene heavily criticized the gangsta rap dominance on the west coast . Some critics were the Freestyle Fellowship , The Pharcyde , Jurassic 5 etc. The Good Life Cafe in South Central Los Angeles was the breeding and is the breeding ground for alternative hip hop acts and most criticism came from there too . I think Erik knows the place very well .

Adam Date: Friday, 05/Feb/10, 9:12 PM | Message # 4

B-Girls
And common to.

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
abanks47 Date: Friday, 05/Feb/10, 9:19 PM | Message # 5

Emcees
Quote (Menace)
They were underground they were alternative of course you never heard of most of them because being popular equates being trendy . The west coast alternative and underground scene heavily criticized the gangsta rap dominance on the west coast . Some critics were the Freestyle Fellowship , The Pharcyde , Jurassic 5 etc. The Good Life Cafe in South Central Los Angeles was the breeding and is the breeding ground for alternative hip hop acts and most criticism came from there too . I think Erik knows the place very well .

wow, i had no idea they were against tupac and thought they were fake. especially since i never heard any quotes or songs in those regards. i've heard them speak on hip hop as a whole but never singling out one person especially the biggest name at the time. i dont mean to be a bother but is there any songs backing your claim?

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

TheWatcher Date: Friday, 05/Feb/10, 9:23 PM | Message # 6

Heads
Quote (abanks47)

wow, i had no idea they were against tupac and thought they were fake. especially since i never heard any quotes or songs in those regards. i've heard them speak on hip hop as a whole but never singling out one person especially the biggest name at the time. i dont mean to be a bother but is there any songs backing your claim?

I doubt any of these artists ever spoke on Tupac as I'll bet we would have seen a reply for him and plus it wouldn't have been a smart move for them. Targeting Tupac because you're targeting gangsta rap is damn near idiotic though, seeing as he made some of the greatest non gangsta rap Hip Hop tracks in history.

EmSeeD Date: Friday, 05/Feb/10, 9:25 PM | Message # 7

Heads
even if Rakim
Quote (abanks47)

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
abanks47 Date: Friday, 05/Feb/10, 10:47 PM | Message # 8

Emcees
Quote (TheWatcher)
even if Rakim

didnt feel like quoting the vids, but both of those songs aren't aimed at pac rather the west coast style of rapping and actually Jeru's track to me seemed to be on good terms with the west. i actually looked at the lyrics while listening and there did not seem to be any hostility.
Quote (ALCATRAZ)
Quote (eboyd)
nobody cares about reggae anymore except for a select few people

Reggae is one of the most popular genres of music in modern times, so I don't really know what you're talking about.

Quote (eboyd)
Rakim made hip hop relevant

Nope, not true. Hip hop was relevant long before Rakim stepped on the scene. He may of made a certain style of rapping relevant, but he himself did not "make" hip hop relevant. Not true by any means.

Quote (eboyd)
It simply makes them continuously relevant

I guess that's where you and I differ. You believe that because someone contributed to the construction of modern day rap, they will always be relevant in terms of modern day emcees. Let's not forget what this topic of discussion is about -- ageism in hip hop. No one is trying to discredit Rakim, we all know his contributions to the game, but creating a form of rapping will not seal your relevance in terms of "who is hot" and "who is not" in today's rap circles. It doesn't work that way. And that is reflected in his latest album going double plastic.

Quote (eboyd)
It wasn't until he died that he became a legend and sealed his place in hip hop as more than just a fad or a cat that was popular at that time.

Your argument is slowly slipping away from you. First, you claim that people accused Pac of being fake when he came onto the scene. Who are the mysterious people you speak of? Where are their battle raps? Where are their disses aimed at Pac? Where are their interviews? Because as far as I know, Pac had the entire industry shook for his entire reign. Even his biggest nemesis refused to address him by name.

And as for the above quote, Pac gained legend status well before his death. I'd say mid to late 1995. He was a movie star, he was a rap star, and he was also a convicted felon. He was what every rapper aspired to be. You happy go lucky dudes seem to forget how much pull 2Pac had in the 90's. The rap game was his and his alone. Numbers don't lie.

Quote (Menace)
Some critics were the Freestyle Fellowship , The Pharcyde , Jurassic 5 etc. The Good Life Cafe in South Central Los Angeles was the breeding and is the breeding ground for alternative hip hop acts and most criticism came from there too

OK Menace, prove it. Don't run from another one of my posts directed at you. Stand up and prove that these artists had a problem with Pac. And don't produce quotes from 2002. I want direct evidence during Pac's lifetime that insinuates that these herbs had a problem with Makaveli. Simply put, I don't believe you.

Here is what I know about rappers that have said something about Pac DURING his lifetime..

The Fugees, Wendy Williams, and LL Cool J have all taken shots at 2Pac off wax. Radio interviews. News print columns, and the like. I'm sure there are a couple more but these artists come to mind first. Pac went back at each of them on wax, "When We Ride On Our Enemies" directed at Fugees, "Why U Turn On Me" directed at Wendy Williams, and "Lil Homies" directed at LL Cool J.

Chino XL, NaS, and DMX were the only rappers I know of who dissed 2Pac BY NAME on wax. I understand that disses from other rappers were blatant and obviously directed at Pac, but they were obviously too shook to say the man's name, so I don't count those as "official" disses towards 2Pac. They do count, but I don't consider them "official" disses. It's only official in my book when you say the man's name you have a problem with. Otherwise it seems like you're yellow.

So all this bullshit with Freestyle Fellowship and their candy cane rhymes and the Good Vibes Cafe or whatever you want to call it.. I don't believe any of that nonsense. One, because most of those cats would've been eaten alive on wax by Pac and Death Row, and two, who in their right mind would diss the money maker of Death Row Records, headed by Suge Knight, KNOWING damn well they live in the same city of Los Angeles. Freestyle Fellowship don't have the man power to stop MOB Pirus from kicking in their front door. Everyone knows how Death Row handled business in those days. On and off wax. Good Vibes nerd cafe didn't want none of that drama LOL. Who would, honestly.

Wow, well put. LOL yall got some splainin' to DOOO!

ilikebacon3000 Date: Friday, 05/Feb/10, 10:50 PM | Message # 9

Emcees
Quote (ALCATRAZ)
Everyone knows how Death Row handled business in those days.

Damn straight, bitch!

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
EmSeeD Date: Friday, 05/Feb/10, 10:56 PM | Message # 10

Heads
Quote (ALCATRAZ)
I guess that's where you and I differ. You believe that because someone contributed to the construction of modern day rap, they will always be relevant in terms of modern day emcees. Let's not forget what this topic of discussion is about -- ageism in hip hop. No one is trying to discredit Rakim, we all know his contributions to the game, but creating a form of rapping will not seal your relevance in terms of "who is hot" and "who is not" in today's rap circles. It doesn't work that way. And that is reflected in his latest album going double plastic.

yeah i think this is going off topic, this thread is about ageism, just because younger people might not listen to Rakim doesn't mean he is irrelevant, do the older hip hop heads not count as "the hip hop circle" now just because they're old? its not Rakim's fault he ages, and i disagree with you saying KRS-One is more relevant today, there's no way he's more relevant if anything the guy is going loony these days. to be off topic 2pac wouldn't murder anyone on wax, maybe in real life but no-one on wax.

hip hop is too young to tell how age will affect rappers legacy's, when it comes to emcee's that were played on the radio we've only just entered this stage where these rappers are becoming "old". with other genre's artists that are old are still loved, like AC/DC, those guys are old and fat, but this week in NZ thousands of people still went to see them perform. when it comes to hip hop, hip hop is too young to see. sure rappers like Rakim might not be relevant on the radio, but to hip hop heads like myself they are still relevant.

ALCATRAZ Date: Saturday, 06/Feb/10, 11:08 PM | Message # 11

Writers
Quote (Menace)
I can't believe your 23

I can't believe you are a quote unquote revolutionary who has damn near six thousand posts on a hip hop message board. Laugh about that.

Quote (Menace)
I never said the alternative scene in those areas dissed 2pac i said they CRITICIZED gangsta rap

So what if they criticized Gangsta Rap? 2Pac was never a "Gangsta Rap" artist. Honestly, I don't even know what Gangsta Rap is. Maybe you can help shed some light on that.

Quote (Menace)
Freestyle Fellowship and the whole Hieroglyphics crew in lead whit Del tha Funkee Homosapien are legends in hip hop circles

Never said they weren't.

Quote (Pensmoke)

Rakim did a song with the dude that made Chocolate Rain. Now THAT'S funny.

"I personally think OBCL2 is better than the original" - Lord Meth

Message edited by ALCATRAZ - Saturday, 06/Feb/10, 11:09 PM
ALCATRAZ Date: Sunday, 07/Feb/10, 0:11 AM | Message # 12

Writers
Quote (Pensmoke)
LOL Come on, man you serious?

Very. What's "Gangsta Rap", Pensmoke? What constitutes a 'Gangsta' rapper? Be specific.

EmSeeD Date: Sunday, 07/Feb/10, 0:15 AM | Message # 13

Heads
Quote (abanks47)
i asked for proof of someone name dropping pac,

why? no-one ever said they were dissing pac by name menace said they were criticizing commercial gangsta rap

ALCATRAZ Date: Sunday, 07/Feb/10, 0:21 AM | Message # 14

Writers
Right, but who doesn't diss commercial rap? You act as if Freestyle Fellowship was somehow ahead of the curve by calling out rappers who supposedly 'glorify' the hood life. Every underground rapper at some point has said one thing or another about what they perceive as "Gangsta Rap", so what's the issue?

abanks47 Date: Sunday, 07/Feb/10, 0:48 AM | Message # 15

Emcees
Quote (EmSeeD)
why? no-one ever said they were dissing pac by name menace said they were criticizing commercial gangsta rap

sorry eboyd did

Added (07/Feb/10, 0:48 Am)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (Menace)
I can't believe your 23 LMAO rofl :rofl:

i smell some ageism lol

Forum » Off-Topic » Rant Forum » Was 2pac a Gangsta Rapper?
Search: