[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum » Off-Topic » Rant Forum » Was 2pac a Gangsta Rapper?
Was 2pac a Gangsta Rapper?
TheWatcher Date: Sunday, 07/Feb/10, 3:59 PM | Message # 16

Heads
Quote (Pensmoke)
You cant be serious man, you can't be. You don't know the difference between the different genres within the vein of what encompasses 'rap music'?

What did 2Pac talk about mainly? What style did he relay what he was saying in? Would you call it traditional? Would you call it lyrical emphasism? Would you call it 'dirty south'? What would you call it? It was west coast gangsta rap.

Mainly?

"Old School"
"Dear Mama"
"Me Against the World"
"Changes"
"Brenda's got a baby"
"Keep Ya Head Up"
"To Live & Die in L.A."
"Life Goes On"
"Unconditional Love"

Matter of fact, name one track on Me Against the World that you would consider a gangsta rap record?

Menace Date: Sunday, 07/Feb/10, 4:01 PM | Message # 17

Heads
Quote (TheWatcher)
Mainly?

"Old School"
"Dear Mama"
"Me Against the World"
"Changes"
"Brenda's got a baby"
"Keep Ya Head Up"
"To Live & Die in L.A."
"Life Goes On"
"Unconditional Love"

Matter of fact, name one track on Me Against the World that you would consider a gangsta rap record?

All Eyes on me was a gangsta rap album . When he singed to death row and adopted this gangsta rap persona entirely .

eboyd Date: Sunday, 07/Feb/10, 5:04 PM | Message # 18

Heads
Pen, you were listening back then. Be my witness and point me in the right direction for info: was the underground and real hip hop scene not calling 2pac fake back then and basically giving him the same consideration then that they give Lil Wayne now? Give me some examples of this too please, because I remember not only hearing about this from the "big homies", but I read an article that spoke about this and spoke about people being pissed off that Pac had been nominated for/won a bunch of Grammy's or MTV music awards or something for All Eyez On Me I think. Do you recall something like that? For some reason I can't find the article I read this in a while back.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ALCATRAZ Date: Monday, 08/Feb/10, 0:03 AM | Message # 19

Writers
Quote (Pensmoke)
You cant be serious man, you can't be. You don't know the difference between the different genres within the vein of what encompasses 'rap music'?

I don't acknowledge them in the same way Malcolm X didn't acknowledge his birth surname. Malcolm X's last name was not Little, that name was given to him. 2Pac was never a "Gangsta" rapper, that title was bestowed upon him.

Quote (Pensmoke)
What did 2Pac talk about mainly?

Egalitarianism, mainly. But he was a very well rounded artist. He covered most if not all topics that underground "real" rappers speak on. He just made it sound good, that's the only difference.

Quote (Pensmoke)
What style did he relay what he was saying in?

Um, 2Pac style?

Quote (Pensmoke)
Would you call it traditional? Would you call it lyrical emphasism? Would you call it 'dirty south'? What would you call it?

I would call it... "rap music"

Quote (Pensmoke)
It was west coast gangsta rap.

No it wasn't.

Quote (Pensmoke)
when he jumped on that 'G' bandwagon like many west coast cats I stopped listening

And around what year would you say he jumped on the 'G' bandwagon? Because as far as I know, Pac was a "G" since he got his first break in the rap game.

Quote (Menace)
All Eyes on me was a gangsta rap album

Says who? You? LOL.

Quote (Menace)
When he singed to death row and adopted this gangsta rap persona entirely

For your information, the majority of Pac's legal troubles came before signing to Death Row.

Quote (Pensmoke)
The fact is though people who were real heads didn't care too much for him back then and that was the general conscensus all around in the real hip hop circles.

LOL this guy.

Quote (Pensmoke)
He was also considered contradictory about his stance on women that seemed to flip-flop in his songs.

Not all women are the same, Pensmoke. Some women are triflin, some women are queens. If Pac was to go around talking about women as if ho's and tricks didn't exist, he would be lying. It's not contradictory, it's real life. "Reality", look it up.

Quote (Pensmoke)
in the albums where he seemingly went from 'conscious rapper' to ' stereotypical thug rapper

His message has never deviated from the time he entered the game to the time he left. Prove me wrong.

Quote (Pensmoke)
Heads I ran with and knew that were feeling De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, etc, just really did consider him to be the equivalent to a negative influence on the black community and progress that many emcees were trying to make.

Exactly. The heads YOU ran with. So don't try to front like Pac didn't have fans in "real" hip hop circles when you were coming up. Millions are people were buying his albums. You don't think any of those people were "real" hip hop heads? Pensmoke, you need to stop frontin.

"I personally think OBCL2 is better than the original" - Lord Meth

Adam Date: Monday, 08/Feb/10, 0:47 AM | Message # 20

B-Girls
SHUT UP.

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
EmSeeD Date: Monday, 08/Feb/10, 2:17 AM | Message # 21

Heads
[sarcasm]stop talking about 2pac man can't you see that guy is so OLD and irrelevant today[/ sarcasm]

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
Adam Date: Monday, 08/Feb/10, 6:55 AM | Message # 22

B-Girls
The truth^

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
eboyd Date: Monday, 08/Feb/10, 1:31 PM | Message # 23

Heads
Haha! It's funny how every OG in the hip hop game that I know personally that listened to the same artists as Pen here has an almost identical story regarding 2pac, yet no matter what ALCATRAZ is set and won't realize that this was true. ALCATRAZ, my original statement stands. What I said was that, while I still mess with 2pac, even into his stint at Death Row in 95-96, Pac was looked at toward the end of his career much like Lil Wayne is looked at today: He sold a shitload of records, some of which of those were sales to people in what we know as the real hip hop scene, but his overall image in that scene is one of controversy and he was often overlooked because many considered him fake. I guarantee that if YouTube was around back in 95/96 that you would be seeing a similar trend to what me and Melhex started with the Lil Wayne vs. Alive Rappers that continue with Lil Wayne vs. Immortal Technique, Lil Wayne vs. Eminem, etc. As a matter of fact, you even see those today. Dudes have posted 2pac vs. MF DOOM, 2pac vs. Chino XL, etc. I guarantee those would have been seen in much more abundance back in 95/96 with a wider variety of artists. The only differences between Pac and Wayne in this regard is 1. Wayne actually sucks lol and 2. Pac fans would have actually fought back. Wayne fans are too wack to even know who the rappers are that we're comparing him to :D

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ALCATRAZ Date: Monday, 08/Feb/10, 2:01 PM | Message # 24

Writers
Quote (eboyd)
It's funny how every OG in the hip hop game that I know personally that listened to the same artists as Pen here has an almost identical story regarding 2pac, yet no matter what ALCATRAZ is set and won't realize that this was true.

Sorry dude, you can't just make a claim like that and pass it off as true. If you are gonna try to discredit a man, you need some evidence. If there were soooooo many real hip hop heads who had a problem with Pac, where is the proof? Where is it? You mean to tell me the dislike for 2Pac only came from the fans, and not from the real hip hop heads who actually rapped? You ain't foolin me, eboyd. Just because you think Pac wasn't real during his lifetime doesn't mean everyone should.

Quote (Adam)
The truth^

There is a new show coming out on VH1 this month about celebrity crime scenes. And guess who the first artist being covered is? Guess...

Quote (eboyd)
The only differences between Pac and Wayne

Stop comparing those two, in any way. It only makes you look ignorant.

Quote (Pensmoke)
I am not a Pac hater like it may be percieved.

I hate to break it to you, but you are, actually. You may like a few of his songs, but you've already made it clear that you feel he did more to hinder black progression in rap music than to progress it. Don't start flip-flopping now that the debate is getting underway.

Oh, and I'd also like to point out that you STILL have yet to define what constitutes Gangsta Rap, and what rappers fall under that definition.

And that ridiculous video you posted? I stopped watching after the 00:02 second mark. It didn't take long for me to realize that video was complete bullshit when I read:

"People got mad when I said
I never liked Notorious BIG
or Tupac's music and said it
was rap not hip hop."

Maybe someone should inform that idiot that rap is simply the spoken form of hip hop. Hip hop itself is comprised of all four elements, not just emceeing. You guys are too easy.

EmSeeD Date: Monday, 08/Feb/10, 2:15 PM | Message # 25

Heads
Quote (Pensmoke)
I will say that I can appreciate more of his stuff now more than I did back in the day because there was just way more artists back then that had my attention instead of Pac

i also remember a friend saying that back in the day he never listened to 2pac or biggie because they were too mainstream, but he listens to them now because now he feels like he missed out. but even he thought the same as pensmoke back in the day and he's a 2pac fan.

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
eboyd Date: Monday, 08/Feb/10, 2:39 PM | Message # 26

Heads
:D

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ALCATRAZ Date: Monday, 08/Feb/10, 2:50 PM | Message # 27

Writers
Quote (Pensmoke)
if you don't know the difference between rap and hip hop then maybe you need to go to another forum.

Hip Hop is comprised of four elements: The Emcee, the DJ, the Graffiti Writer, and the Break Dancer. Hip hop, contrary to the general consensus on this board, is not some type of "real" rap music. Rap music is rap music. Hip Hop is what you get when all elements form like Voltron. You should know this already.

Quote (Pensmoke)
Just because you don't like the label gangsta rap doesnt mean that its not a legitimate label.

In my opinion it's not a legitimate label. Sure, record companies and album reviewers and "real" hip hop heads love to put rappers in pre-determined boxes, but most of the time the artists being judged don't even acknowledge the term! Pac has said once over that he is not a Gangsta Rap artist. Sorry, Pensmoke, but I'll take 2Pac's word over yours any day of the week. No offense.

Quote (Pensmoke)
Its somebody who was there vs somebody who 'heard' that it was 'this way or that way'

Is this the foundation of your argument? The fact that you were around during that time gives you the ultimate credentials in discussing the man? You are ignorant. I will admit that someone who lived during the time these artists were coming up deserve to speak their mind and their opinion should be respected, but it does not make your opinion the absolute answer.

If a white supremacist who was living during the life of Martin Luther King Jr. told you that MLK was a racist womanizer, would you believe him, simply because he was 'around' during his lifetime? That's a weak argument.

Quote (Pensmoke)
You got no experience with these things you just speak how you 'feel' when you wasn't even there in the scene when it was going down.

You slice and dice rappers and put them into categories and boxes. You are the one who needs a lesson in hip hop knowledge. Step your game up, gramps.

Quote (eboyd)
you would have just as much evidence to support your claim as I do mine

Great. I'm glad you said that. I'd like to make the claim that Rakim was seen as a homosexual during his rap career. Most real hip hop heads that I knew thought Rakim was a flaming homosexual who wore booty shorts and bought the bar out at disco-techs in NYC with his Paid In Full advance money. Everyone I know that was an older head thought Rakim was gay. Of course I don't have any supporting evidence of that, but my friends will tell you that it's true.

Do you see what I'm getting at, eboyd? It's foolish to make these type of arguments, "Most of my friends think 2Pac was fake so yeah that must be what everyone on God's green earth thinks." Sorry, that's the opinion of a select few. Your people and Pensmoke's people. I'm not saying you are lying about your claims, but you and Pensmoke don't speak for an entire generation. So stop.

Quote (eboyd)
Maybe someone should inform you that emceeing and rapping are not one in the same

In my eyes, rap is rap, is rap is rap is rap. You can be Vanilla Ice, you can be Project Pat, you can be Big Pun, you can be Q-Tip. If you got skills, you got skills. End of story. If you are for the progression of human equality, then fine, egalitarianism it is. If you rap about women shaking their ass and dicks in their ear and shit, then guess what, you are a rapper too! I got no time to listen to people who want to define every single aspect of an artist, "Wait he said something about vegetarianism, now he is an east coast, conscious, lacto-ovo vegetarian rapper!" That's silly, and that's what you guys are basing this entire debate on. You want to throw labels on everything out there when really you should just be enjoying the rap music. "Real Hip Hop" heads are destroying the culture more than any other group I know. And that's as real as it gets.

Quote (EmSeeD)
so i think Pensmoke would know more about how 2pac was recieved among the hip hop purist circles in those days than both of us.

That very well may be true, but Pensmoke doesn't speak for everyone. That's ALL I'm saying.

Menace Date: Monday, 08/Feb/10, 3:00 PM | Message # 28

Heads
Alcatraz Subgenres and hybrid forms are typical in music . If you lack basic music lessons then let this go . Gangsta Rap is a subgenre which has a distinctive sound . Please attend art school my man . Hip hop has a lot of subgenres which have their own distinctive sounds and distinctive identities . Like Rock music has Heavy Metal and Punk Rock as subgenres Hip Hop music has Alternative hip hop and gangsta rap as her subgenres . Please dude .

ALCATRAZ Date: Monday, 08/Feb/10, 3:12 PM | Message # 29

Writers
Menace, you can let art schools define the way you view Hip Hop, but that's not me, player. I'm from America, and my people built this shit. You are from Romania, I'll just leave it at that. I'll define rap however I please, so long as I'm not disrespecting anyone. I refuse to put a rapper in a box just because he talks about this on one song, or that in another song. That's just not how I get down, I'm simply not that judgemental. Alternative rap and Gangsta rap are terms that were placed on rappers once the music became corporate. There is no one that can tell me otherwise. When the music was made by the people, for the people, no one gave two shits about a sub-genre or hybrid.

Added (08/Feb/10, 3:12 Pm)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (Pensmoke)
ou can call me all the names you want it means nothing to me.

You called me shorty before I called you gramps. Don't get all emotional just because I'm throwing it back in your face. Wipe them tears, there's a brighter day.

Quote (Pensmoke)
Bottom line is you don't even know the difference between hip hop and rap

I just stated it, twice. Rap is Hip Hop in spoken form. How many times do I need to type that for you to read it and understand that is what I believe? Hip Hop, in my opinion, is not some mysterious type of rap music credited to rappers who talk about flowers and peace on Earth. Rap is universal in my eyes.

Quote (Pensmoke)
I aint new to this man I been involved in this artform in one way or another since 86.

Yeah, and you STILL don't get it, which is unfortunate.

Quote (Pensmoke)
Did I read that statement right that Project Pat has skills? LOL man you are hilarious son.

I'm a big Project Pat fan, love his music. Unlike "real" hip hop heads he is able to convey his message and still make fun raps at the same time. There is a reason Mista Don't Play is one of the highest selling independent albums of all time.

To me, that's rap music any way you look at it. But to you, that's probably "South-East, Gangsta, Dirty South, Party Up, Crunk Hood Rap" LOL.

Menace Date: Monday, 08/Feb/10, 3:21 PM | Message # 30

Heads
Quote (ALCATRAZ)
Menace, you can let art schools define the way you view Hip Hop, but that's not me, player.

ITS MUSIC . ITS NOT BASED ON YOUR PERSONAL VIEW IS BASED ON PROFESSIONAL EMPIRICAL MUSICAL JUDGMENTS . DOES WHO UNDERSTAND MUSIC ARE THOSE THAT JUDGE IT .

Quote (ALCATRAZ)
Menace, you can let art schools define the way you view Hip Hop, but that's not me, player. I'm from America, and my people built this shit. You are from Romania, I'll just leave it at that. I'll define rap however I please, so long as I'm not disrespecting anyone. I refuse to put a rapper in a box just because he talks about this on one song, or that in another song. That's just not how I get down, I'm simply not that judgemental. Alternative rap and Gangsta rap are terms that were placed on rappers once the music became corporate. There is no one that can tell me otherwise. When the music was made by the people, for the people, no one gave two shits about a sub-genre or hybrid.

Then heavy metal music is the same as punk rock music because its still rock . LMAO . Gangstra rap is MUSICALLY different from alternative rap and vice versa . Other type of beats are used other types of rhymes are used ITS DIFFERENT .

Forum » Off-Topic » Rant Forum » Was 2pac a Gangsta Rapper?
Search: